[lug] FUD -- Big time....

lpotter ljp at llornkcor.com
Tue Jun 2 07:34:20 MDT 1992

>DOS is out the window. The Blue Screen of Death is gone. And I just installed
>ME three times in 24 hours and it still had to reboot 3 times/install but
>that's better than after every driver config with other versions (and much
>worse than one reboot per linux kernel install)....

Win2k is a little better in the reboot deptartment. I can actually change
my ip address w/o rebooting!
But you can forget about not reinstalling if you change the boot drive.
The big problem is that MS has indeed made rebooting a machine a common,
and needed function.
I cant fathom why it needs to reboot just to install a damn program! (I
know why, but it could be done differently) Actually, I've gotten into the
habit of NOT rebooting it, if the program can actually function before the
appointed reboot. Alot of time, there is no real need to.
Another thing thats made my windows experience more tolerable, is using the
open source, GLP'd  litestep shell, with a highly customized BarQNX theme.

My SuSE 7 install(s) didnt even have to reboot, once! As it should be....