[lug] question about kppp & new modem...

arnie sherman arnie at diac.com
Sun Sep 12 23:30:08 MDT 1999

Here's a little bit of detail from my last attempt at getting ppp to work
again...
I had been using kppp in COL2.2 to dial up, until I replaced my external
14.4 w/ a external 56k modem. kppp doesn't dial out anymore, though I can
dialout w/ the Mini-terminal in kppp setup.
I have been working from the 'How to hook up PPP' page at
http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html.

I have created a log file for debugging, as he suggests. I then verified the
resolv.conf, hosts.conf, and nsswitch.conf  files were correct. Using
'/sbin/rout -n' I get 127.0.0.0. After starting pppd (as root)  I looked for
kmod processes and didn't find one, so I entered '/sbin/kerneld' ps then
showed a kmod process. In /etc/ppp/options I have
crtscts
defaultroute
noauth

When I enter (as root):

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK
ATD3033760025 CONNECT '\d\c"

I see this in the log file:

Sep 12 22:45:46 frenomulax pppd[780]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
Sep 12 22:45:47 frenomulax pppd[780]: Connect script failed
Sep 12 22:45:48 frenomulax pppd[780]: Exit.

What Connect script is this looking at, is it the ppp-on script? In this
How-to he pretty much just assumes that the modem will dial out at this
point, and doesn't say much about any errors.

Again, I am able to get the Mini-terminal in kppp setup to dialout, so I am
sure the system sees the modem itself.
thanks for any help,
--
arnie sherman
frenomulax at bigfoot.com

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now,
only much, much better."
   - Laurie Anderson