[lug] DNS Server

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Tue Sep 14 13:53:54 MDT 1999

At 01:05 PM 9/14/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Thus spake Stephen G. Smith:
>>
>> What are some good bottom line hardware configurations
>> for RH6 DNS servers for approx 700 users (moderate web usage)
>> I would like to use 2 machine 1 primary and one secondary..
>>
>> Thanks for you for your suggestions..

Get that machine you are using for a doorstop, it will work fine. 32Megs on
a 486 is overkill for this application if DNS is all you are running on it.

Now if availability is a concern, you have other issues.  Peak to Peak
Internet runs full RAID-5 on all such servers since *any* downtime is a
no-no/badthang(tm).

Chris Magnuson
Peak to Peak Internet