[lug] 3c905b-TX

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 15 09:17:49 MDT 1999

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 09:08:43AM -0600, Calvin Dodge wrote:
>"Bonnell, Doug" wrote:
>> If your looking for something cheaper, the Netgear card is
>> supposed to work well with Linux, They go for about $25.
>
>s/is supposed to work/works/
>
>At least, I've never had any problems with them under Linux (Red Hat 6.0
>recognizes them as "tulip" type NICs).

The old NetGear cards (over about 4 months old) worked great with the
standard kernel tulip driver.  However, they made a change in the
chipset and the new ones only work if you first ping them from an
outside box.  Netgear has an updated driver (yay) which is burried
in their web site and distributed as a self-extracting ZIP file
(boo).

Sean
--
 "No early worm is giving ME the bird!" -- Bullwinkle J. Moose