[lug] DSL Select

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 15 15:38:25 MDT 1999

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 02:17:47PM -0700, Ken Blount wrote:
>You can get busy signals, but I thought (and I might be wrong) that the full
>connection is $39.99 (versus $19.99) (plus ISP costs).  What I plan on doing is

Nope, $29.95 (though they were making noises about decreasing it to 24.95
or something).

>keeping this until Earthlink offers service in our area (Spring of next year).
>Then I'll use the equipment on their service.  For either $49.99 or $40.99 (price
>not set yet) you get a full time connection - 512K downstream and 256K upstream.

They can't offer you a full-time connection on the same line you use for
DSL Select.  The "Select" part is implemented in the DSLAM and you need
to switch to the new service.  Also, I believe that there is a restriction
if you get the free hardware that you have to keep the connection for a
full year before you can change your service.

Also, it's not *REALLY* 512K down, it's like 450k down, 270k up.  It's
the same service you get from US West.  When you go to 512k service, the
inbound doesn't go up that much, but the down increases a LOT.

Sean
--
 /home is where your .heart is.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999