[lug] notebook compatibility

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.ucar.edu
Wed Sep 15 15:57:05 MDT 1999

> Compaq has had a lot of problems with compatibility in the past, but I
> don't know anything about their laptops these days.  I'd recommend the
> IBM ThinkPads quit highly (I've had 3).  The Sony Vaio is pretty sweet
> too, at 2.9 pounds.  Kevin has a Toshiba that he likes quite a lot.
>
> If I were to get a new one, I'd be looking at the Vaio quite seriously
> as an alternative to the new ThinkPads.  Shaving another 1.5 pounds off
> the lightest ThinkPad would be nice.
>
> Whatever you do, get something with the NeoMagic video chipset.
>
> Sean
> --
>  Gone Postal Sort: Iterate over elements, any element that is out of order you
>  blow away.  -- Evelyn, Kevin, and Sean, watching Monty Python and reading DDJ
> Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo at tummy.com>

I haven't done Linux on the Compaq Presario 1925 yet, but I did check to
see that it has the NeoMagic Media 256AV chipset.   We've done Redhat Linux 6 on
a variety of laptops now including various Thinkpad models (my personal
favorite in terms of quality and features), and the newer Sony Vaio's.
I've also done linux on a Winbook XL, but couldn't recommend that laptop
due to its poor quality.

Good luck with the port!  --Tim