[lug] Latex and SGML

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Sep 15 16:54:27 MDT 1999

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, David Lovering wrote:

>     Sure, I could take a step up to bat.  If somebody has a "portable"
> Linux platform with a fairly complete implementation of LaTeX/TeX I
> could check out, I'd be glad to prepare a presentation on how to use it,
> what the various steps are in generating a document, what it's major
> advantages/disadvantages are, etc.  [My PowerPC has a full-blown version
> of the latest TeX stuff on it, but it is a strange flavor of Linux, and
> is hardly portable].

I can certainly get you a portable Linux box with LaTeX loaded.  It looks
like the next open speaker slot for the BLUG isn't until January though.

Our current speaker schedule looks like:

   October 14  - The Linux Professional Institute and Linux Certification,
                 Jonathan Corbet, Eklektix, Inc.

   November 11 - MySQL (Multi-User, Multi-Threaded SQL Database)
                 Tony Cook

   December 9  - An introduction to ZOPE
                 Joe Van Andel, National Center for Atmospheric Research

So that would make you the first speaker in the new year.

   January 13  - LaTeX/Tex
                 David Lovering, NIST Information Technology Laboratory

Anyone want to talk about SGML or XML in February?

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)