[lug] Emacs, gnuserv and (find-tag) problems

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Wed Sep 15 17:08:06 MDT 1999

Ed> I don't know if this is a bug or not. From the cygnus help:

Ed> The Source-Navigator search function replaces the find-tag
Ed> command (Meta-period) when you search for a symbol. Because the
Ed> other tag commands are not yet available inside Source-Navigator,
Ed> you need to use the equivalent emacs commands, if available.

"M-." should work for you in a buffer started by S-N provided that you
have an S-N project scanned.  Since you just got some error message
from Emacs, I'm assuming it is a bug.  This code used to work a long
time ago; perhaps it just didn't get updated for a newer Emacs release
or something like that.  (FWIW, I originally wrote the Emacs side of
this.)

Ed> Is the function "sn-find-tag" able to be aliased to "find-tag"? If
Ed> so I can probobly just alias it if I can figure out how this is
Ed> done...

I wouldn't mess with it myself.  There might be some hook run when an
S-N buffer starts up, so you could reset the key binding.  I don't
remember.  Or you could use advice, if you can find the right function
to advise.  (Ignore this if it doesn't make sense to you.)  Either of
these will involve digging through sn.el and writing lisp code
yourself.

Ed> What about item 1?
Ed> 1. It invokes a new emacs session (it should open the file in a
Ed> running emacs session)

Ed> Any ideas here, or does this sound like a SN problem? I'll email Cygnus.

If gnuclient works from the command-line then I think it might be an
S-N bug.  If gnuclient doesn't work from the command-line then the
problem lies elsewhere.  Just to make sure: it is starting a new Emacs
and not just bringing up a new Emacs frame, right?  The latter happens
with gnuserv unless you set some magic variable in Emacs (I forget
what).

I have a vague memory that you have to set the editor in S-N to
something like "gnuclient" in order to make this really work.  Does
that ring a bell?  Is it mentioned in the docs?  I don't think I've
looked at this code since 1996, and my memory isn't what it used to
be.

Contacting Cygnus through the official channels is probably your best
bet.

Tom