[lug] Star Office Installation

David Outteridge dajo at privatei.com
Fri Sep 17 11:16:02 MDT 1999

I have just completed installation of Star Office, which I downloaded
from Sun at no cost (yet=:).  The installation appears to be successful
- it comes up and looks good - but I ran into the following problem
which raises a number of questions.  Any comments about better ways to
configure my system will be appreciated.

My root directory partition is 76% full and that leaves 13 mB
available, which means that my /tmp directory is limited to 13 mB.
That fact had escaped me before now.  Well, Star Office needs up to
"170 mB of free space" during installation and I can confirm that it
needs more than 13 mB in /tmp.

I tried to rename /tmp and create a soft link to another directory in
another partition on another disc.  That does not work in a simple way
because there are some crucial X files in /tmp and I was unsuccessful
in copying them to the new /tmp.  However, I was able to logout,
re-boot and successfully install Star Office with this configuration.

Does anyone have answers to these questions?

* I tried to re-create the special entries (they do not appear to be
  files) in /tmp in the new directory.

/tmp:
-r--r--r--   1 root     dajomen        11 Sep 17 08:28 .X0-lock
drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Sep 17 08:28 .X11-unix/
drwxrwxrwt   2 xfs      xfs          1024 Sep 17 08:27 .font-unix/

/tmp/.X11-unix:
total 3
drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Sep 17 08:28 ./
drwxrwxrwt  21 root     root         2048 Sep 17 09:59 ../
srwxrwxrwx   1 root     dajomen         0 Sep 17 08:28 X0=

/tmp/.font-unix:
total 3
drwxrwxrwt   2 xfs      xfs          1024 Sep 17 08:27 ./
drwxrwxrwt  21 root     root         2048 Sep 17 09:59 ../
srwxrwxrwx   1 xfs      xfs             0 Sep 17 08:27 fs-1=

I was able to able to create something that looked like this except
for the leading s permission for X0= and fs-1=.  How do I do that?
What are those esses?  Where is that stuff documented?

* Is there a way to duplicate byte-for-byte directory /tmp somewhere
  else (cp does not do it)?

* Is there any other way to extend space in a directory?  Could the
  soft link to the other partition be done in a way that simply
  extends the space?  Soft links and mount both replace rather than
  extend.

* Did I have to re-boot?  I realise now that just exiting X and
  creating the soft link may have worked.