[lug] Re: Linux modems

Calvin Dodge caldodge at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 17 14:02:06 MDT 1999

"Johnston, Bernard L" wrote:

> an Actiontec PM-6500-LKI which, according to Actiontec's home page,
> does not seem to be a current product.

Oooh ... I'd shy away from the ActionTec modems (based on my experience
with one of their "Linux-compatible" PCI models, which locked up my home
system 4 times in 3 days (or was it 3 times in 4 days?)

I have a friend who has reported good performance from a Creative Labs
Modem Blaster in his Linux box.  If you go that route, be sure to get
the $60-$70 DI5601 model (the real modem), not the $30-$40 DI5660 (or
DI5665) LoseModems (tm).

Calvin

--
"... she was a calligraphy enthusiast, with a slight overbite, and hair
the