[lug] web hosting problems...

Andrew Reberry andrew.reberry at colorado.edu
Sun Sep 19 15:30:14 MDT 1999

Hey all.  I got a question which really doesn't relate to linux, but I
thought some people around here might be able to help me out.   Sorry this
is not a linux specific related question.

My situation...

I am currently planning on buying my own domain name, and have been looking
for a good web hosting service.  There is a problem though, the only
services which do what I need want much more money than its worth.

I am looking for a host which will allow me to mainly do one thing.  I want
to have more than www.mydomain.com.  I am planning on having many virtual
domains, such as home.mydomain.com, projects.mydomain.com and so on.
Potentially somewhere around 5 - 20 different virtual domains.

For each of these virtual domains I will be needing 1 separate email account
such as home at mydomain.com and projects at mydomain.com.

The problem...

I don't plan on ever needing more then 5 megs of webspace for all of these
virtual domains combined.  I also don't plan on getting anywhere even close
to 1000 hits per year on all the virtual domains combined.  As a matter of
fact, most of the virtual domains will simply re-direct people to other
parts of the Internet.

My presence would be extremely small for the web host, but I can't find any
service which will allow me to do this cheaply.  It shouldn't take any of
the web hosts resources at all, and therefore shouldn't cost tons of $$$.
I am asking on this email list because I realize there are a few people
around here which might be able to help me out.  If you think you may be
able to help me out, please email me and we can talk about the specifics.

Or, if you know of a web hosting service which will do what I'm looking for
cheaply, (i.e. tons of virtual domains, barely any webspace, barely any
traffic) please let me know.

Andrew Reberry
andrew.reberry at colorado.edu