[lug] Masquerading rules by interface...

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Sep 22 01:54:24 MDT 1999

Tkil was just having problems with his ipchains masquerading setup
(converting a set of ipfwadm rules I had written).  After some poking
we found something reasonably interesting...  If you masquerade, the
masquerade rules need to go on the *EXTERNAL* interface.

Tkil was being extra paranoid and specifying the interface, which is
what caused his grief.  In general I agree with him setting the interface,
but I've never done that on the masquerading rules.

In this case, the internal net 192.168.1.0/24 was on eth1, and the external
net connection was on eth0.  So, the rules you have to use are:

	ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -i eth1 -j ACCEPT
	ipchains -A forward -i eth0 -j MASQ

It makes a weird sort of sense -- the masquerading is actually happening
at the external interface...

Part of the problem we were having was that when you list a chain, it doesn't
say if there's an interface restriction on it, so his failing rule looked
*EXACTLY* like my successful rule that I added manually, except that his was
being ignored.

Just a weird quirk I thought I'd report.

Sean
--
 Give me immortality or give me death!