[lug] NOAA FSL buys a beowulf

Eric Kihn ekihn at ngdc.noaa.gov
Wed Sep 22 11:26:56 MDT 1999

Who in NGDC is getting this beast?  The STP division is looking at
replacing our SPARC centers for satellite data processing with
redundant Linux boxes.  These will probably be DELL 4300 's  (2 x
550's, 1 Gb) . I expect our processing will increase 10 fold.  In
addition I'm already running 10 Linux boxes as a distributed database
server and trust me they are up to the task. I'll expect to add 6 - 8
more to the cluster in the next year. Nice to see the Govt. in front
of the curve for a change eh ;).

Hope this isn't boring to the list but I'm always curious how people
apply there Linux boxes.

Eric Kihn, eMail: ekihn at ngdc.noaa.gov
NOAA/NGDC, 325 Broadway, 80303 Boulder
Tel: 303 497 6346, Fax: 303 497 6513

On 9/22/99, 3:41:39 PM, "Harris, James A (Jim)"
<HarriJA at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM> wrote regarding RE: [lug] NOAA FSL buys
a beowulf:

> I've also got encouraging inside word that NGDC is getting a new
honking
> Linux machine for evaluation purposes...

They