[lug] Gated question(s)

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Sun Sep 26 13:24:52 MDT 1999

Sean,

Thanks for the advice.  I think I'll try to heed it, but there's one thing
that I'd like to verify.  Am I correct in assuming that packets will be
routed from machine to machine based on what each hop machine knows?  In
other words if I have as a default route for all my lan machines one
machine on my lan running ppp over a modem to a modem server that's behind
a firewall and the modem server has the firewal as its default route and
the firewall forwards all packets to the cisco router it is attached to,
then do the machines on my lan need to know anything more than the default
route to the ppp machine? What about going the other way, or is that even
an issue?

Here's my setup and what I want to do.  I have a lan here at home and am
setting up a lan at someone's house who can get DSL.  I plan on using them
as my ISP and dialing into a machine there.  This machine and others on
the remote lan will be behind a firewall machine which is attached to the
DSL "modem".  Another complication is that I have another machine that has
ppp running and is connected to my current ISP.  With two ppp machines
routing will be a bit complicated, but I can ignore that part for now.

Thanks in advance.

Chip

 Chip Atkinson
 http://www.pupman.com
 --- If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed --