[lug] hard drive speeds

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Tue Sep 28 14:35:38 MDT 1999

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> Question to you hardware experts:  what are the fastest hard drives
> available?  Don't SCSI drives generally have faster throughput and
> read/write times than IDE?
>
> I'm working on a talk I'll be giving at ALS on the Gimp and one of the
> major bottlenecks for graphic artists when using the Gimp is swapping tiles
> from memory to disk and back.  My understanding is that the faster buses
> being introduced in PCs these days aren't helping IDE throughput, but they
> might help SCSI subsystems using add-on cards, right?
>
> Anyone want to take a crack at what drives are generally going to provide
> the fastest throughput?

Ultra2 SCSI - 10K RPM. But don't stop there. Get two or three of them
and use the kernel's built in RAID support and make a RAID-0 stripe
set. This is by far the best performance option. If you want to do more
than 3 drives you'll want to get a multi-channel SCSI controller to
keep SCSI bus contention at a minimum.

If you've got the cash to do RAID0 Ultra2 SCSI, you might do better to
use that money for more RAM and eliminate the swapping altogether. (Or
swap to a RAM disk...)

--
Rob Riggs
Technical Staff