RAM Prices (was: Re: [lug] hard drive speeds)

Calvin Dodge caldodge at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 28 18:05:26 MDT 1999

Ian Hall-Beyer wrote:

> I was at PC city on saturday, and they're currently quoting their
> customers $329 for 128M DIMMs. Decent, but far more than we're used to

Especially since two months ago I could get decent 128 meggers via reputable
mail order for about $85.

I do suspect that part of this is due to the expectation that NT users will be
upgrading to W2K en masse, and needing a lot more RAM as a result.

This may hurt Microsoft's plans, and that would be a nice (though unintended)
consequence. That's about the only good thing I can say about the price
increase, though.

We'll probably put off new computer purchases for as long as possible, and hope
that RAM prices will come back down again.

Calvin

--
"... she was a calligraphy enthusiast, with a slight overbite, and hair the
color of strained peaches. I'll never forget the very first thing she said to