[lug] Using consoles

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Wed Sep 29 10:04:55 MDT 1999

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, David Outteridge wrote:

> Yesterday, whilst logged in as myself, I wanted to log in as root.
> Normally I would use su, but this time I did not know how to start up
> all the stuff I needed so I wanted to log in from the login prompt.  I
> used C-A-f2 and got a login prompt.  The login was ok.  But when I
> tried to start X it did not work for the reason that display 0 was
> already in use.  Can anyone explain this a little, please?  How do I
> do it?  Can it be done?

It sounds like you were already running X (since you said you had to hit
*CTRL*-Alt-F2) as a user. Which would explain why the display was already
in use.

If you want to do something as root, just do it from a terminal window
within X and su from there.

-Ian

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,