[lug] Using consoles

Alan Robertson alanr at bell-labs.com
Wed Sep 29 14:36:57 MDT 1999

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> David> Yesterday, whilst logged in as myself, I wanted to log in as
> David> root.  Normally I would use su, but this time I did not know
> David> how to start up all the stuff I needed so I wanted to log in
> David> from the login prompt.  I used C-A-f2 and got a login prompt.
> David> The login was ok.  But when I tried to start X it did not work
> David> for the reason that display 0 was already in use.  Can anyone
> David> explain this a little, please?  How do I do it?  Can it be
> David> done?
>
> sure. You can run as many X sessions as you have memory for. ;)
>
> When you start the second X session for root, make sure you specify a
> new display...ie:
>
> xinit -- :1
> or
> startx -- :1
>
> The -- tells it to pass the next stuff off to the X server, in this
> case a request that it use display ":1" instead of the default ":0"
> which is already in use by your other session.
>
> It should then appear, and will likely be on alt-f8 (the console after
> your other X session at any rate.

But it didn't work for me :-(

I got a message (which I don't get on console 1) that says that I need to have
a .Xclients-default file, but I don't.  This doesn't happen when I start it up
from window 1.  So, I made a link from .Xclients to .Xclients-default, and X
comes up, but no windows get created.  It just hangs there...

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at bell-labs.com