[lug] List Membership Exceeds 300!

winrip winrip at diac.com
Thu Sep 30 13:41:39 MDT 1999

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Glenn Ashton wrote:
>
> > And I wonder with all this talent and huge amount of people why aren't we
> > doing an install fest or community oriented event like our wonderful
> > mini-expo?
> >
> > I know that we are having the "Uber Convention, Denver" but howabout
> > something that is smallish, helpful and friendly- maybe something in
> > partnership with a campus group.
>
> That is actually a really good question.  What surprises me is that you
> are the only one asking it.
>
> In a nutshell I guess the issue is volunteers.  All of the activities of
> this group are based off of the efforts of people willing to volunteer
> their time and energy to make things happen.  These kinds of activities
> occur when someone like you, asks a question like this, and people step up
> to the plate to make them happen.  The questions from my point of view
> are, whether the group wants to do this, and who wants to volunteer to put
> it together?
>
> Typically there are about 20 people in the group who have consistently
> volunteered to keep things going.  Right now the energy of many of these
> people is being consumed by the creation of the Colorado Linux Information
> Quest (CLIQ) or what you called the "Ueber Convention, Denver".  What we
> really need, is to find more people who want to get involved.

First I'd like to say WOW 300 people, not bad at all. Second I's like to say
Thanks to all of you who've helped me with problems over the past year, you've
been a great help with home projects and some developed by my college. Lastly
I'd like to say after next week I would be able and willing to volunteer some
time to BLUG projects, I'll have the time since I will have completed my
associates degree. Four extra hours a night, I think I'll be looking for
something to do with my time. My two cents worth, an install fest would be an
excellent idea. Or even an install fest slash project fest. May be someone has
a project or better yet BLUG could come up with something constructive to do
as a project and a group. I've got it install slash tutorial fests, tutorial
on setting up a mail server or a firewall, or securing your Linux machine from
outsiders,  along those lines.

oh well just some thoughts
Bill.