[lug] Built In RAID\Cards?

Chris M chrism at peakpeak.com
Fri Oct 1 15:42:50 MDT 1999

At 12:52 PM 10/1/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Dose Linux have built in RAID software?  If so has anyone used it?
>
>Are there any "inexpensive" RAID cards out that anyone could recommend?

You get what you pay for, the best ones we have used are the ICP-Vortex
stuff.  Multi-channel cards?  No problem.  Clustering support (on some
OSes)?  No problem.

We just bought 3 more yesterday.  Running RAID-5, these suckers are great.
Once, a disk failed, then the cold spare came up automatically.  Then *it*
failed (Fujitsu drives suck).  The card kept things going just fine while
we swapped a shelf spare in on the fly.  WIth the native Linux utilities
this is easily accomplished.

That server is still in service today in Boulder.

If you buy something cheap don't say I didn't tell you not to :)  Software
RAID is not suitable for any high-availability applications IMHO, we did
play with it awhile though.  I'd use it on the desktop.

Regards,
Chris
Peak to Peak Internet