[lug] Built In RAID\Cards?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Oct 2 13:19:26 MDT 1999

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 11:56:37AM +0000, chrism at pop.peakpeak.com wrote:
>Yes, although there is a general lacking in the maturity of the RAID kernel
>development IMHO.

I've often found that "software RAID" is less stable than hardware.
Not that there's any REAL reason for this -- it should just come down
to who writes better code.  However, I think that working on a
dedicated piece of hardware to do RAID tends to limit the scope enough
that it makes it easier to produce quality code.

HP-UX has software mirroring (RAID1), and we ran into a number of instances
where it was just broken.  If you actually had a drive fail and tried
to reboot, it was (in our experience) a 50% chance that the system
would freak out.  However, we never had a similar thing happen with
any of our hardware RAID.

Sean
--
 I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas.  I'm frightened
 of the old ones.  -- John Cage