[lug] date

llornkcor llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Sat Oct 2 13:23:08 MDT 1999

Ya, I scripted a file to run netdate when I log onto my ISP, and then run
setclock. I hadn't known about setclock before.  It's amazing what can be
learned when something screws up.
And this all started because RealPlayer g2 expired !!!

:o)
LP

> One thing to be careful of though is that xntpd will only synchronize the
> time if your local clock doesn't become too skewed.  For example, if
> Daylight Savings Time happens and you don't write that value into your
> BIOS clock, the next time you try to run xntpd it will complain about
> the time being too far off to synchronize.
>
> To get around this, you probably want to update the BIOS clock at least
> every time you shut down.  Or you might want to put together a script
> which checks the BIOS clock and only updates it if it's reasonably
> different from the system clock, and run that frequently.
>
> If you're running RedHat or a similar system with /etc/sysconfig/clock
> or /usr/sbin/setclock, you can give my "clockupdate" script a try.
> ftp.tummy.com:/pub/tummy
>
> Sean
> --
>  Get your data structures correct first, and the rest of the program will
>  write itself.  -- David Jones
> Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo at tummy.com>

llornkcor rocknroll
SpiritShip MultiMedia Recording Studio