[lug] WinLinux 2000

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Oct 5 20:49:30 MDT 1999

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 03:58:12PM -0600, Wayde Allen wrote:
>On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, James Palma wrote:
>> There is a new Linux distribution for those who don't want to go through all
>> the hassle of installing a separate Linux set-up.  It installs right over
>> Windows and allows Linux to run in a Windows session. See
>> http://www.winlinux.net/  This is a beta distribution.
>
>I just picked this up on a different mailing list.  Anyone heard of, or
>used this?  Any comments?

That sounds suspiciously like UMSDOS -- a file-system which gives you
linux-like file-names and permissions under a FAT file-system (using a
renaming scheme similarly to how MS does it with the VFAT
backwards-compatibility names.

This was how I did my first Linux install, and it worked pretty well.
The setup works well, but restricts your performance.  If you aren't
sure you want to dedicate a partition to Linux, it's a good way to get
your feet wet.

Sean
--
 If I were an Indian, my name would be "Running With No Swap".
                 -- Sean Reifschneider, 1999