[Re: [[lug] RH 6.1]]

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Oct 6 01:21:31 MDT 1999

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 11:01:00PM -0700, bill ehlert wrote:
>**  what is ISO, please??

By "ISO", what they mean is "ISO-9660 image file".  The first step of
burning a CD-ROM is to take all the files you want to put on the
CD-ROM, and turn them into a single file in CD-ROM format (it's kind
of the same idea as creating a .tar or .ZIP file).  The format that
CD-ROMs use to provide the files to you is ISO-9660.

So, you use the "mkisofs" command to archive up all the individual
files into a single large file in CD-ROM (ISO-9660) format, and
then you use "cdrecord" to write this large file to the CD-ROM.

If you have a directory that you want to try this out on, you can
use:

	cd <directory>
	mkisofs -o /tmp/archive.iso .
	mount -o loop /tmp/archive.iso /mnt/cdrom
	cd /mnt/cdrom
	ls

The mkisofs command creates the archive (make sure you have enough space to
write the archive to /tmp), and the mount command mounts it like it's
a device (pretending that /tmp/archive.iso is a CD-ROM device effectively).

I'm told that if you get this special driver, that Windows can even
do this.  :-)

Sean
--
 We have just gotten a wake-up call from the Nintendo Generation.
                 -- _Hackers_