[lug] Server Suggestions

winrip winrip at diac.com
Wed Oct 6 13:20:12 MDT 1999

 Well being that I'm a field engineer for a VAR for most of the manufacturers
you've mentioned, I'll give you my feed back.

 IBM makes some of the best equipement out there, but when you have problems
with it, they want things done thier way. If you have a problem with hardware
but the errors look like it could be software, they push it off to the
software vendor and usually fight sending parts as much as they can. If the
machine is out of warranty for one day, that's it it's out of warranty.

 HP, again good stuff, but thier idea of service is a little lacking. If the
server is brand new you can expect an HP servie tech at your door tomorrow
morning. However if it's a little older, be prepared to wait. Good stuff I
just don't like the service they give. Again very strict about the
warranties.

 Compaq, everyone hates this company for some reason, The equipement as far
as servers is on par with the others, the other stuff they make could be
better. The help desk is usually a run around, but when you get to someone
who knows what's going on the problems a taken care of as fast as possible.
Most of the dealings I've had with Compaq are good, they just want the
customer happy and generally do whatever you want them to. They usually never
argue with sending parts, even if the problem doesn't seem to be hardware,
ask the SA's at AON corp about that. If you wish to pay 500 dollars for the
SSP program, they will stock ALL the parts for your machine locally so you
can get them same day within four hours, I'm unaware of other manufacturers
doing this.  Warranties are generally flexible, if the thing dies within a
month of the warranty they ship parts no porblem.

 Dell, somewhat of a competitor to my company, but we still service them. I'm
not sure of the product quality, maybe I'm biased. But, their service is top
notch, so long as the original equipement is still together as a unit, i.e.
same monitor sold with the machine is with the same machine stuff like that,
USWest hates this part. I've never had to wait for Dell parts longer than 24
hours. Warranties I'm not really sure of.