[lug] Redhat 6.1 does not detect printer

Bruce Yelen byelen at csd.net
Wed Oct 6 21:45:05 MDT 1999

Hi,

Just installed Redhat 6.1 this evening and am unable to get printer support.
When I use the print tool, it tells me that it did not detect any devices on
lp0, lp1, lp2.  As a "newbie" with Linux, I'm a bit lost at this point.  The
printer in question is an HP 694C.  It's cabled through a parallel port
scanner.  When I had Redhat 5.2 on this machine (with exactly the same
hardware config) there was no problem accessing the printer.  My current
theory is that Kudzu is not detecting anything on the parallel port
(possibly because of the scanner?).  Is there anyway to configure the system
to indicate the presence of the printer regardless of what Kudzu says?

Regards,

Bruce