[lug] Server Suggestions

Phil Hildebrand phil at sysmgrs.com
Thu Oct 7 09:35:28 MDT 1999

Our experience with VA Linux is awesome.  Everything from workstations to
enterprise class clusters.  The free technical support is nice too, and
many of their technical support staff contribute to the Linux kernel code.

On the larger custom servers, you'll need 30 - 45 day lead time, but
you'll probably need the same with HP / IBM / SUN as well.

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Kyle Moore wrote:

> I am looking to buy a new server for work here. Does anyone have any
> suggestions? We are pretty big into HP stuff for our HP-UX, Novell and
> NT servers but I am open-minded in this search. Our existing Linux
> servers were kinda built from the parts I have wanted but I don't want
> to keep doing that. I want canned hardware that will work well with
> Linux.
>
> It seems like I have lots of choices. IBM, HP, Compaq (I don't generally
> like Compaq), VA Linux, Penguin Computing, etc.. Anyone have experience
> with any of these that would cause you to recommend them?
>
> --

Phil Hildebrand
Sr. Consultant
Unix Systems Managers, Inc.