[lug] Question about KRUD

Tom Tromey tromey at cygnus.com
Fri Oct 8 15:56:32 MDT 1999

>>>>> "Kevin" == Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> writes:

>>>>> "Wayde" == Wayde Allen <wallen at boulder.nist.gov> writes:

Wayde> The other issue is that once I've logged in the logout button
Wayde> doesn't seem to work.

Kevin> Logout button not working is a puzzler...can you look at your
Kevin> .xsession-errors file and see if it's logging anything that
Kevin> will point in the right direction?

Kevin> also, (of course) this months krud (1999-10-01) is out and has
Kevin> updates to all the gnome stuff...

I didn't know that KRUD had Gnome in it.  I hadn't even heard of KRUD
until today.

A long login and a failure of the logout button is a symptom of a
certain kind of session manager failure.  Actually it is a failure of
the clients to communicate with the session manager (I think).  I
don't really remember the details :-( but I do remember that this has
been reported to the Gnome bug database, and has been fixed :-)

I have a vague memory that "rm ~/.ICEAuthority" might help, but that
memory isn't too trustworthy.  Or it might have to do with being able
to open a socket to localhost (I thought Unix domain sockets were
used, but I've never delved into the nasty ICE code enough to see for
sure).

Which version of the gnome-core programs does your KRUD have?  I can
fairly easily find out which Gnome releases had important bug fixes.
Or, you could try digging through the Gnome bug database to find the
real resolution for this problem.  http://bugs.gnome.org/

Tom