[lug] Installfest/ MiniExpo Update

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Sat Oct 9 09:55:12 MDT 1999

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 02:20:47PM -0700, Glenn Ashton wrote:
> > Just got back from UMC Scheduling; the lounge is booked in Novemeber,
> > but meeting rooms 158A&B and 159A&B are available on November 20th
> > (8AM-6:30PM). I've put a reserve on these pending contact with you.
> > Although a little off the beaten track (downstairs from main entrance
> > and just off logia), they maybe more suitable, IF some signage is made
> > up.

Well, how big do the signs need to be?  Unless somebody else wants to, I can
do some simple signs and get them printed up at Kinko's pretty easily.

> I will be making a site inspection to see if there is enough power etc.
> Do we have any thoughts about this?  I think we should have something like
> 6 or 7 install stations, 3 "help desks" and maybe 6 or 7 exhibits.
>
> Is this too much/ too little?

Having never been to an installfest before, and not knowing what to expect
turnout wise, I honestly don't know.

I do know that most of the time, though, I could be doing two installs at a
time myself, epecially if they're of the RedHat variety (gotta give 'em
credit.  Their installer is a piece of cake).

> Let's get thinking about what we can show off easily and credibly!

Here's what I can do, personally: Another person on the net and I have been
working on an encryption how-to.  It's almost done actually.  I can get a few
copies printed up (only a few though, as the whole thing is about 60 pages
along, including almost 30 pages of windows information). I can also get gpg
installed, get them set up with a personal key, etc.  While it's not
specifically linux, it is an area which people tend to find interesting once
they get to learn enough to know why it should be interesting.

In addition, I can help to show off some of the networking stuff if people
want.  What may help is I am pretty sure I can get a quake server set up, and
people can play quake under linux, over a lan, if they want to.  Might be too
distracting from the main purpose, but it might be something to help them get
into it more.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen