[lug] Why Not Upgrade? (Was: Forwarding or routing question)

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Tue Oct 12 10:17:08 MDT 1999

All right, I'll take the bait. I'm running RH5.2 right now with (what seems
to me) a lot of added-on packages, most of which were built from source.
It's taken me almost half a year, albeit nowhere near full-time, to get
this machine configured to do exactly what I want it to do. I haven't kept
any notes about what I've messed with in the conf files, and the conf files
seem to be spread all over (e.g. most are in /etc but named keeps its in
/var/named). I bought the KRUD distro intending to upgrade, but I got the
willies at the last minute.

What keeps me back is the worry that somehow my configuration *just barely*
works, and it only works because of some quirk in 5.2, and if I upgrade to
6.0/KRUD it'll never work again. Or, that in upgrading some of the
configuration changes will be stomped and I won't know it. I could backup
/etc and /var but where else is config stored?

What would you say to convince me that there's nothing to fear?

-Mike