[lug] Why Not Upgrade? (Was: Forwarding or routing question)

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Tue Oct 12 20:19:14 MDT 1999

Ok, I'll fill in some crucial details as well as opinions. :-)

One should weigh the cost vs. benefits of upgrading.  On the machine that
I have running RH5.0 there is little cost to upgrading.  It's pretty much
a new install and there are no applications that I rely on.  It's a 486
that runs ppp and forwards packets.  If it crashed and started smoking I
wouldn't be out more than a few tears.

Contrast this to my main server machine.  It's running RH 4.2 on a 2.0.36
kernel.  I use it to serve disk partitions using samba, as a name server,
and most importantly e-mail.  I have a mailing list with 660 subscribers
that gets around 20 or more messages per day (right now), and has peaked
to 60.  Everything is carefully set up and backed up daily.  It has lots
of important applications on it.  If _this_ machine crashed my life would
be severely impacted for several weeks.

Every upgrade that I've done has been about as bad as a new install.
Usually what happens is that one or more partitions fill up and hose the
entire thing.  This is what happened when I tried up upgrade my server to
5.0.  It took me 4 days or more just to restore fully from backups.

My opinion is don't upgrade unless you really need to or it's really cheap
to do so.

Chip
 Chip Atkinson
 http://www.pupman.com
 --- If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed --