[lug] I have a problem, but what is it?

Andrew Reberry andrew.reberry at colorado.edu
Wed Oct 13 18:47:24 MDT 1999

Hey all.

Having a bit of a problem.  I am running a SuSE 6.1 linux box as an Internet
server for about 15 computers.  (with an ADSL internet connection)
Everything was working just fine for months now...  until a earlier today.
I was just on the Internet at the time, and the next thing I knew, when I
clicked on a link I could not retrieve the page.

I have gone over everything I could possibly think of.  I did not touch the
SuSE box all day.  And then this happens.

What I found weird is that now, when I run 'dhclient' I sometimes get a
'DHPACK from 10.0.0.1' (which I should), but other times I run 'dhclient' I
don't get any response.  But no matter what happens, I can't connect to any
machine over the Internet for any reason (FTP, Telnet, HTTP...)

So to test the Internet connection I quickly hooked it up to my Win machine
and set it up for DHCP, and everything was working just fine.

Also, once the internet connection stopped working, I tried to access the
server (Len) over the network.  (samba was up and running, all configured
correctly)  I got a response that "the machine //Len is busy" - or something
to that matter.  That was hours ago.  Now, however, I can't even see 'Len'
on the network.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love them.  I seriously haven't got a clue
what would do such a thing.  Especially when I am the only person with
access to that computer, and I haven't touched it today.  Also, no one on my
network would have gotten on the machine.  The only possible intruders would
have been from over the Internet.  I highly doubt that though, because 1) no
one would care about my network here, and 2) to get through US West to my
Cisco 675 router, then out to the linux machine to break in.  And for what
reason?  None.

Andrew Reberry
(303) 448-1658
reberrya at colorado.edu