[lug] ISPs with "reasonable" email policies

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Oct 20 10:28:45 MDT 1999

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 09:23:20AM -0600, Mike Vigorita wrote:
>I think now a-days, you are going to find it difficult to find an ISP that
>allows SMTP connections from machines outside their network; because of
>spamming...

Technicly, the answer is "use a local SMTP server".  Especially if one
is talking about work e-mail -- how much work e-mail do you want going
through an external source?

However, for a number of reasons users just don't want to do this.
So, there are a number of methods of providing authenticated SMTP
relaying access.  My personal favorite is that doing a POP authentication
enables relaying for some amount of time.  This method works great, but
does require that a user authenticate with POP before actually sending
a message (in normal use that shouldn't be a big deal).

Sean
--
 Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean
 it's useless.  -- T. Edison