[lug] XVidtune

Charles Morrison cmorrison at info2000.net
Wed Oct 20 23:08:00 MDT 1999

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> 	Is there a place where I can put the settings (xvidtune shows them while
> it's running) within my xf86config file?

Yes. Although the XF86Config file would be a better place ;-)

Seriously, xvidtune, if started from an xterm, has a neat little feature, the
"show" button, which dumps the settings for the current screen to the xterm in
an XF86Config compatable line. This modeline is then put into the "Monitors"
section of the /etc/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config file (depends on your
distribution as to where it's located, some may be somewhere else, I don't have
all of them memorized). Sorry, this is a cut and paste kind of operation,
xvidtune does not edit your XF86Config file for you. I usually delete all those
other modelines and just have the ones I derive with xvidtune. That way XFree86
doesn't fake me out and select a different one from its many choices.

Chuck