[lug] a bit tired of updates

Chan Kar Heng khchan at cyberdude.com
Wed Oct 27 08:06:26 MDT 1999

greetings.

just to voice an irritating feeling which i feel most linux
users share...

i'm quite sure we all know sometimes why we're get .rpm
files and not .tar.gz or .tgz files... coz .rpm provides
dependency checks for one.

so .rpm it is. but do you often find out about a new app
or a new version of a favourite app and proceed to download
the rpm, only to find that you need an rpm of a (set) of
libraries which need to be upgraded as well.

so you proceed to search and download those rpms required
for your new app and install em.. only to find that some
other apps are dependent on your old libraries which you
are about to replace. and so you proceed to search and download
a newer version of that app as well. (unless you choose
to break the dependency by forcing the install, and getting
your app semi-broken)

imho, this is all rather frustrating, esp while following
thru many versions of linux distribution (i can't claim
i did so far, and i'm not a heavy user too, tell by the mail
headers.. heh!).

so does anyone have a certain recipe for overcoming this
rather irritating thing? (though it only happens once in
a month or few)

regards,
khchan

ps: linux is still cool!