[lug] rsync compile on RH5.2

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Oct 28 09:36:05 MDT 1999

Thus spoke Tom Tromey
> The headers are in /usr/include, but I assume that is just a typo
> here.

It was a typo.

> My advice is: don't rely on grep to find the symbol for you.  It could
> be pasted together via cpp, in which case you would never find it.
> Instead look at the output of "gcc -E" and use that to help you find
> where it is coming from.

I'll try that and see if it helps.

> If you think it is coming from the compiler itself (doubtful in this
> case), use "gcc -S" and read the assembly.

Ick.  No, I don't do assembly anymore.  Gave it up for sanity sake.  If I
have to go that deep, I punt and look for another tool, or write it myself.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |  Outside of the killings, Washington has one of
The Graphics Muse           |  the lowest crime rates in the country."