[lug] AARGGG! ADSL and NAT.

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Thu Oct 28 22:49:16 MDT 1999

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 09:45:24PM -0700, Jason A. Crosswhite wrote:
>I've got an external ADSL modem (Cisco 675) connected to a hub in my

I presume you mean "RADSL", since that's the variety of DSL offered
around here.  :-)

>house, to which me and my room mate's computers are connected.  We use
>NAT and DHCP services over a PPP to USWEST.  Everything is working hunky
>dorey, except for one thing.  I can't figure out how to set the DISPLAY
>environment variable on a unix machine I'm working on in campus so that
>graphics displays on my home machine.

If you're using NAT, you don't.  You could set up something on your NAT
machine so that the incoming X connections are forwarded to your
internal machine, but your best bet would probably be to use SSH
to connect to CSU (check, but I think licensing would allow it for
SSH version 1.2 and older), and have it proxy the X connection
for you.

If the SSH licensing bites you, you could use the dxpc software to set up
a similar tunnel (and you get REALLY good compression over it too).  This
is probably the preferred way to do it, except that it doesn't offer
encryption.  It DOES offer GREAT X compression though.

Sean
--
 "I was just thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said
 ``I drank what?''"  -- Chris Knight, _Real_Genius_