[lug] Digiboard drivers and Linux

bdoctor at nda.com bdoctor at nda.com
Sun Oct 31 21:26:19 MST 1999

I have experience with some older Digi hardware, which
worked well, after the driver was sorted, as well as newer
hardware, the PC XEM unit, which has an external module for
it's serial ports, rather than an octopus cable.  Works
extremely well!

ftp.digi.com is your best resource.  All devices are
/dev/ttyD<n>.  The included RC script should give a good
indication as to what goes where.  Of course, you'll need
the binaries, from the FTP site.  This script is designed
for a cloned machine, one which may or may not have the Digi
device in it, as such it will configure a new machine.
Assumes that:
The device is working properly (We have PCI devices, very
easy)
The kernel supports it
The modules/kernel are all installed and synced

I've not come across any IRQ conflicts, or I/O conflicts,
etc.  The PCI model is wonderfully easy, compared to the
older ISA models, which were very difficult to setup.

If you need additional assistance, let me know, I'll do what
I can :)

I don't do code pageants.

#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop script by Brad Doctor <bdoctor at nda.com>
# This should do the trick for a properly configured digi
card.

. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

MODULE_LOCATION=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/epca.o
MODULE_INIT_BIN=/usr/local/bin/digiDload

case "$1" in

        start)
        echo -n "Bringing up Digiboard XEM Driver... "

                if grep epca /proc/modules > /dev/null ;
then
                         echo "The Digi epca driver is
already loaded!"
                        exit 0
                fi

             if [ -f $MODULE_LOCATION ] ; then
                  /sbin/insmod $MODULE_LOCATION
             else
                 echo "Could not find $MODULE_LOCATION,
abort"
                 exit 0
             fi

             if [ -f $MODULE_INIT_BIN ] ; then
                 echo "Initializing the driver: "
                  $MODULE_INIT_BIN
             fi

             if [ $? != 0 ] ; then
                 echo "Error intializing the card!"
             else
                 /bin/dmesg | tail -1
             fi
          ;;

       stop) echo "The machine must be rebooted to remove
the module."
           ;;

       status) echo "Checking /proc/modules: "
                grep epca /proc/modules
               echo ""
               echo "Checking /proc/epca: "
                if [ -f /proc/epca ] ; then
                    cat /proc/epca
                else
                    echo "/proc/epca does not exist, this is
wrong."
                fi
            ;;
        *) echo "Usage: $0 [start|stop|status]"
           ;;
esac

-brad

--
Brad Doctor
Manager of System and Network Administration