[lug] CU Miniexpo/ Installfest Update

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Tue Nov 2 16:12:07 MST 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Glenn Ashton wrote:

> When: November 20, 1999
> Where: UMC 158, 159
> When: 9am-6pm
>
> What: We need to finalize our agenda here. I'd like to try and schedule a
> brief meeting to organize three areas, demo tables, help desk, and
> installation.
>
> Chuck Johnson of CU's Buffalo Chip has been instrumental in getting this
> going.
>
> We definately need demos on StarOffice, Gimp, and the other popular kinds
> of academic use products, but it's wide open at this point.

You've got less than 20 days to pull this off!  What does "it's wide open
at this point" mean?  I'm hoping that you have already contacted any
vendors that you would like to show, otherwise I'd guess they won't be too
certain about your event.  You will probably need to rely
almost exclusively on volunteers in the group showing stuff off.  Have you
got these volunteers yet?  How are you going to advertise - mailing lists,
flyers, etc.?

> I'm bad at getting a meeting going can someone pick a place time in the
> evening that those interested can get together and get things in gear?  I
> was thinking before BLUG next Thursday but am worried that might not give
> us enough time.

So - just pick a place and time and let everyone know!

If you are doing this primarily on the CU campus a good meeting place
might be the commons area in the UMC.  Other places that we have used for
various events are Denny's (on baseline), The Dark Horse (also on
baseline). It kind of depends on who you want to attend the meeting, how
many people you expect, and when you want to do it?

My feeling is that you need to get something going ASAP.  Tomorrow might
be a bit sudden, so that leaves you with Thursday or Friday.  Take your
pick.

I would suggest that you explain a bit more about what you need this
meeting for though?  If it is just brainstorming and planning, much of
that could be accomplished here on-list.  In a sense, you've already got
the meeting going - what do you need to "get things in gear"?

How about updating us on what you've got in mind, what you've got nailed
down, and what you need.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)