[lug] CU Miniexpo/ Installfest Update

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Tue Nov 2 17:30:03 MST 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Wayde Allen wrote:

> You've got less than 20 days to pull this off!  What does "it's wide open
> at this point" mean?  I'm hoping that you have already contacted any
> vendors that you would like to show, otherwise I'd guess they won't be too
> certain about your event.  You will probably need to rely
> almost exclusively on volunteers in the group showing stuff off.  Have you
> got these volunteers yet?  How are you going to advertise - mailing lists,
> flyers, etc.?

The idea was to use volunteers in three areas- demos, help desk and
installs.

Wide open means that volunteers who can commit to showing up can
demonstrate what they are passionate about on Linux.

Wide open means that I am not going to be overly controlling about what
people want to do with this event- It's a group event, and we have a time
and place for free with great support from the University.  Chuck's agenda
is to be able to put his Linux interested customers in touch with people
who can help them use and enjoy Linux.  Blug fits that bill nicely.

> So - just pick a place and time and let everyone know!

I'll post this tomorrow a.m. and I think it will be Thursday or Friday.
Probably on the CU Campus at the UMC.

> My feeling is that you need to get something going ASAP.  Tomorrow might
> be a bit sudden, so that leaves you with Thursday or Friday.  Take your
> pick.

I agree, that's why I posted to the list...

> I would suggest that you explain a bit more about what you need this
> meeting for though?  If it is just brainstorming and planning, much of
> that could be accomplished here on-list.  In a sense, you've already got
> the meeting going - what do you need to "get things in gear"?

Getting things in gear means going over the details of who is showing up
and committing to do what.  Sean, for example, volunteered early on, and
given his extreme Linux genius, I thought he would be one of the answer
gurus at the "Help Desk".

The meeting is more or less a time to finalize details and make provision
to aquire any thing that we need and don't already have.

-Glenn