List issues (was: Re: [lug] fauscette at yahoo.com)

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Nov 3 13:12:31 MST 1999

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 12:47:50PM -0700, Bob Kanick wrote:
>e-mails is rather frustrating.  Wouldn't this forum be better
>served by a bulletin/discussion board???   We use one for another
>club I'm in and it works great.  You get on to the website and

The problem with web-based "bulliten boards" is that they force you
to use a single (often not a very good) user interface.  I've never
seen a web-based discussion system which had the power of most mail
processing systems.  They also require that you remain connected the
entire time and be at the mercy of all links between you and the
site.

It sounds like you may not have a very good mail environment.  The
better mail systems will allow you to filter list traffic out into
special folders, and sort the items by threads so that you can
easily kill threads that don't interest you, and read the ones
that do.

If all you want is to access the list via the web, have you tried
the mailing list archives?  See www.lug.boulder.co.us for more
information.

Sean
--
 Electricity travels a foot in a nanosecond.
                 -- Commodore Grace Murray Hopper