[lug] Selecting MODEM for Linux

Harris, James A (Jim) HarriJA at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Wed Nov 3 17:02:23 MST 1999

Many of the Diamonds are running as Winmodems now...

Watch out for "soft" USRobotics Sportsers too.  Their PnP is working well,
but they've removed the jumpers.  (Really tics me off... that was the one
really kickass thing about them... oh well...)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Reifschneider [mailto:jafo at tummy.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 2:49 PM
To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
Subject: Re: [lug] Selecting MODEM for Linux

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 02:34:43PM -0700, David Willcox wrote:
>Does anyone know what is the most popular Modem to use for linux not
>using Windows ?

Most popular?  I really like my SupraFAX 28.8.  Too bad they don't make them
any more...  MultiTech makes great modems.  USRobotics these days work
well.  Zoom has "issues", particularly with faxing.  I haven't tried any
of the new Supra (now Diamond) modems to know.  None of the current
modems I know of have the features I loved on the SupraFAX...

>I'm running 6.0. Also if I'm using the first two serial ports
>(ttyS0,ttyS1) would it be easier to do a setserial in rc.serial area or
>try something in inittab?

I don't know, I've never used setserial.  For the longest time kermit has
had that functionality built into it and it just happens automaticly.
I've never had an issue with PPP or other software either.

Sean
--
 CChheecckk yyoouurr dduupplleexx sswwiittcchh..
software.