[lug] umsdos linux

llornkcor llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Thu Nov 4 17:52:53 MST 1999

> Umsdos creates a "--linux--.---" file in all it's directories.  This is
> where it stores the full filenames, and the permissions on the various
> files.  Theoretically (I've never tried this), you can copy files into the
> DOS linux directory structure; then in your "linux" window (whatever), if
> you run 'umssync' it will update the ---linux---.--- file with the new
> filename you put into the dir.  This should fix your problem of copying
> files in, and not seeing them until you re-boot.  On startup, Linux
> automatically runs 'umssync' to update all the ---linux---.--- files.

I noticed this today when I was viewing the /linux, er \LINUX with ztree. very
odd.

> As for it being slow, yup.  DOS is a slow FS, compared to NTFS and Linux
> native...

plus the fact that every operation has to run through the faked fs.

> As far as mangling is concerned, I'm not sure what you mean.  It destroys
> the file content?  Could this be some kind of ASCII-like conversion going on
> (or not going on)?

I'm not sure, probably. dos does some crazy things to files. and windows does
even more crazy things. One would think that downloading in binary mode would
not do that..

> Lastly, yes, Windows will show you the linux filenames in the "~" format.
> And, Linux will show you the Windows filenames in the "~" format.  If I
> remember correctly, if you load the vfat32 driver, with umsdos, you will see
> the full filenames of your Winblows files...

Ya, I dont know how much longer it will be on that hdd, windows is bad enough,
but add a slow fake linux . I am just adverturous, and wanted to see for
myself what it was like. Thing is, I could see people wanting to try linux, and
using one of these hybred things, and actually thinking that thats the way
linux runs. I dunno, just something to pass the time.
:o)