[lug] Monopoly huh...

winrip winrip at diac.com
Fri Nov 5 19:23:08 MST 1999

llornkcor wrote:

> I don't necessarily think that MS is a true monopoly, there _are_ other choices
> out there, after all. Unlike the Bell Phone company was. I guess it would
> depend if you think ~ 90% market share is a monopoly. But, I do think that they
> do business unfairly, and use their 'market power' to stifle the competition. I
> just hope that this is good for the industry, and I don't see how it couldn't
> be.
> LP

Well I would tend to think of MS as a monopoly for one reason besides the 90%
market, and that would be buying competitors or reverse enginerring the code of
such.  Now I can see buying a company to move you into a market that you don't
have a stake in.  Like Qwest buying USWest, they have the fiber and the long
distance, but no local service.  But to buy up companies just to incorporate that
product in your OS that's a different story.  Wasn't it speed disk that everyone
used to use for defraging a drive in DOS, then MS decided to reverse enginerr the
code and make it part of DOS (6.20 I think) and when caught they bought the
company, I think that's how the story went, it's been to long.  It's things like
that, that make me believe they don't want to compete but dominate.

Oh well

Bill.