[lug] Monopoly huh...

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Nov 5 22:50:06 MST 1999

"Jeffrey B. Siegal" wrote:

> The judge found that Microsoft has monopoly power over Intel operating
> systems.  There is no such thing as a "true monopoly," really.  It is a

And that really bugged me. I mean, I'm no fan of Microsoft, and I'm part of the
vast, faceless army of Linux enthusiasts who are dedicated to World Domination
(tm) (I'm using it at work to free up 23 licensed connections on our main
Netware server), but declaring Microsoft has "monopoly power over Intel
operating systems" (and therefore needs to be punished for that) makes about as
much sense as slapping Apple for having "monopoly power over Motorola systems".

> question of having monopoly power, which is a legal term including such things
> as the ability to control pricing, etc.  The judge found that Microsoft does
> have this power.

And so does Apple, in _its_ field.

Microsoft has done some very nasty and unethical (and possibly illegal) things,
and it has obviously used its power to bend others to its will, rather than
merely competing on the basis of software quality.

But the idea that "monopoly power over Intel systems" means "monopoly power
over all systems" is just plain stupid. (ditto for the issue of the Channel
Bar)

> Now the trial turns to whether Microsoft's actions and practices violated
> and/or violate the law, and if so what should be done about it.

And if they confine it to real issues I'll be happy if the judgement goes
against Bill and Steve.

Calvin

--
"Hey feller! I bet you're still living in your parents' cellar
Downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar

- "It's All About The Pentiums"