[lug] Monopoly huh...

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Sat Nov 6 09:53:57 MST 1999

Thus spoke Jeffrey B. Siegal
> True, although it is very difficult if not impossible to overturn the findings
> of fact (which is what was issued today) on appeal.  That's because only the
> original judge was in a position to assess the credibility of the witnesses.
> The appellate court may overturn the judge's interpretation of the law (not
> yet issued) and his remedy (if any).

This is what I tried to figure out yesterday, but none of the press reports
online really explained this.  I caught NightLine and some other TV news
late last night and they cleared it up for me.

Initially I thought the finding of fact wasn't binding in any way, but like
you mention here, it has quite an impact and, apparently, can't be
overturned.  Rather interesting stuff, actually.
--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to