[lug] Monopoly huh...

llornkcor llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Sat Nov 6 12:38:16 MST 1999

> > I don't necessarily think that MS is a true monopoly
>
> Yes, they are.  Go read the statement of fact by the judge.  There's a
> link at /. to it.  They make a pretty convincing argument there.

I was merely stating my personal opinions. By law they (MS) are, but in my mind,
there are other choices for OS's, so they aren't a mono-poly

> Although now I wonder.  Would the OSS/free software culture we all seem
> to enjoy have pulled together so strongly if Microsft wasn't what it
> was?

who's to say what might have been ....

>Maybe in the annals of history, Microsoft will just be seen to be
> a catalyst.  The irritant in the oyster to make the Perl (ooops, that's
> er a pearl).

True, every action has an opposite reaction.

This isn't to say that they seem to have bullied the OEM's, and used
monopolistic type actions.