[lug] question about dhcpd & dhcpcd

geo-lincs geo at lincs.net
Mon Nov 8 12:55:26 MST 1999

Arnie,

Sorry for the long delay in answering - no email for the weekend. I'm glad
you got the windows conflict solved. I'm afraid I've been lazy about finding
a good place to set up those commands to run on boot for linux. I have a
server that runs for months and only goes down for hardware work so it
hasn't been much trouble to just type them in (actually cut and paste :).
If/When I do get around to it, probably the easiest solution (assuming
(again) you're using RedHat) is to use the *netcfg* program under X (as root
user) (is found in the control panel as well) which will write to the
necessary setup files. Another option is to use *linuxconf*. Just note the
following:

    # ifconfig eth1 10.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
is setting up the ethernet interface with an address and netmask

    # route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth1
is adding route 10.0.0.0 using interface eth1

    # route add default gw 10.0.0.1 eth1
is adding default gateway 10.0.0.1 through eth1

With this info you can experiment over a couple of reboots. I'm sorry I
can't be any more clear but I think you've motivated me to get it figured
out once and for all. Good luck

-geo