[lug] BLUG 99 CU Linux Installfest

Jim Easter EasterJ at Otologics.com
Mon Nov 8 15:51:14 MST 1999

	<snip>

> I'd personally like to see some more demos of Linux being used for real
> world applications.  How about:
>

>     Accounting/Finance - Is there anything that can substitute or replace
>                          Quicken?
	Gnucash (http://www.gnucash.org/) is intended as a replacement for
Quicken, and has impressive promise.  However, from my experience it is
still too crash-prone for a demo.  Its predecessor, Xacc
(http://GNUcash.org/xacc/), is pretty stable.  I now use CBB
(http://www.menet.umn.edu/~curt/cbb/ ).  It is attractive, powerful,
intuitive, well-documented, and written in Perl / Tcl / Tk   ( E-Z 'n fun to
customize).
>     Business Software  - Spreadsheets, Wordprocessors, Business Databases
>                          ApplixWare, Star Office

	It is good  to see that LaTeX / LyX will be part of the show.  It
will be worth mentioning that the central philosophy of a typesetting
language is different / better than that of a WYSIWYG word processor; also
(especially for this audience) that more theses and dissertations have been
written in LaTeX than you could shake a stick at.

	<snip>