[lug] Administrivia - List maintenance and passwords

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Mon Nov 8 17:02:41 MST 1999

In case you missed it you were issued a password automatically by mailman
when we switched the list over a month or so ago.  This seems to have
caused a bit of confusion.

Basically the password is needed since the list now has a graphical
front-end that allows you to customize your subscription.  The password is
needed to prevent just anyone from changing your personal settings.  The
URL needed to access the lists maintenance web page is included in the
footer at the bottom of each BLUG message, but for the sake of redundancy
it is:  http://lists.lug.boulder.co.us/mailman/listinfo/lug.

To change your subscription options, go to to the above URL and the very
last box on the page.  You type in your e-mail address here and hit the
"edit options" button.  This should get you the page showing you the list
of options that you can configure.  It is hopefully pretty straight
forward, but to unsubscribe you type your password in the first box and
press the "unsubscribe" button.  If you've forgotten your password hit the
"Email my password to me" button.  To change your password to something
more memorable fill out the Change password boxes, etc..

I have locked out the feature that would allow the world, or other list
members, from seeing the subscriber list to prevent spamming and someone
from looking up a subscribed address and trying to access your account.
If you are having troubles with your subscription address let me know.

I hope this helps.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)